Index of the content
- 1 Windows Interview Questions
- 1.1 1) What is Windows Server?
- 1.2 2) What’s new in Windows Server 2019?
- 1.3 3) Describe an Active Directory in Server?
- 1.4 4) What is the purpose of deploying local DNS servers?
- 1.5 5) List the various Active Directory Database files
- 1.6 6) List the locations where different active directory databases are held
- 1.7 7) Differentiate between File Allocation Table (FAT) and New Technology File System (NFTS)
- 1.8 8) What do you understand by the term trees, forests and domains?
- 1.9 9) Describe the non-authoritative and authoritative restore of an Active Directory (AD).
- 1.10 10) What do you understand by the term Group Policy Objects (GPO) and list the different types of GPO
- 1.11 11) Is it possible to connect a third party Directory service to an Active Directory?
- 1.12 12) In order to check TCP/IP configurations, list commands that have been frequently utilized
- 1.13 13) Explain the different types of Directory Partitions in Window Server.
- 1.14 14) What is the basic function of the domain controller?
- 1.15 15) With respect to the Windows DNS server, explain Primary, Secondary and Stub Zones.
- 1.16 16) What is the difference between Linux and Windows?
- 1.17 17) List some of the roles of flexible single master operations (FSMO) by the Windows Server?
- 1.18 18) What is difference between Windows and Windows Server?
- 1.19 19) Differentiate between a thread and a computer process
- 1.20 20) What are default user interface used in Windows Server ?
- 1.21 21) What do you understand by the term “tattooing” in context of the Registry?
- 1.22 22) What is a Visio diagram?
Windows Server is a series of different server operating systems that have been developed by the Microsoft Corporation. It has a set of a very powerful version of various desktop operating systems that help users to efficiently handle numerous functions, which include control and handling of networking, databases, etc. As Windows Server makes the functioning of companies and institutions easy, organizations are thus looking for individuals with thorough knowledge and hands-on experience in this field.
Read below some of the commonly asked Windows Server Interview Questions in order to make your entire process of the interview preparation easy. This set of Windows Server Interview Questions also contains various features, pros, and cons of using Windows Server that can give you an upper hand in comparison to other candidates running in the competition in between you and your dream job.
Quick Questions About Windows Server
|Windows server is||series of server os.|
|Windows server is used for||Hosting websites, APIs and enterprise applications.|
|Windows Server is developed By||Microsoft Corporation|
|User Interface||Command-Line and Graphical|
|Window Server Licence||Trialware, SaaS or volume licensing|
|Windows server Current version||Windows Server, version 1903|
Windows Interview Questions
1) What is Windows Server?
Windows server is a series of enterprise-class server operating systems that is designed for end-users to share resources/ services with multiple users and provide extensive administrative control of data storage, applications, and corporate networks.
2) What’s new in Windows Server 2019?
Windows Server 2019 is the latest release of window server that uses the long-term servicing channel or shortened LTSC.
Its comes with the following features:
- Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Support for Kubernetes
- Other GUI new features from Win10 version 1809
- Storage Space Direct
- Storage Migration Service
- Storage Replica
- System Insights
- Improved Windows Defender
3) Describe an Active Directory in Server?
Active Directory (AD) is an inventory organization that is used in a library to collect objects like customer profiles, computers, etc. It manages the framework effectively with the help of Domain Controllers that are accessible at different zones with the Active Directory database. A segment of the limits fuse essential association with various land zones, check of customers and computers in the space provided by windows, copying Active Directory from any Domain Controller. In addition to which these lines will be reverted to each and every other Domain Controllers.
4) What is the purpose of deploying local DNS servers?
A local DNS server provides the local mapping of fully qualified domain names to IP addresses. To resolve remote requests related to the domain names on your network, local DNS servers can provide record information to remote DNS servers.
5) List the various Active Directory Database files
The numerous Active Directory Database files comprise of the following:
- log and Res2.log
Not all the Active Directory changes are created true to the NTDS.DIT database archive. They are first formed to EDB.Log and hence form the log record to the database. EDB.Che is acclimated with the following changes to the database and it undergoes as an updated log record to keep a check on the tasks are performed to the database.
- NTDS.DIT: This is referred to as an Active Directory database that contains all the AD dissents. The default zone is %system root%nrdsnerds.dit. This database relies upon the Jet database.
- EDB.Log: This record is to pursue the trades on any particular database, at the time EDB.Log is full it is retitled to EDB Num.log, in which a “num” is a number beginning from 1 such as EDB1.log.
- EDB.Che: This report is used to cross – verify the data that has not yet been kept in contact with the database. This record has the beginning stage to the data that can be recovered in the midst of disillusionment.
- Res1.log; Res2.log: Res speaks to spared trade record, which gives the trade log archive sufficient time to shut down in case the circle misses the mark on space.
6) List the locations where different active directory databases are held
The locations where the different active directory databases are held include:
7) Differentiate between File Allocation Table (FAT) and New Technology File System (NFTS)
CharacteristicFile Allocation TableNew Technology File SystemSecurityMaximum file size maximum file nameConversionFault ToleranceCompressionFile/Folder EncryptionCompatibility
|Only Network||Local and network|
|8.3 Characters||255 characters|
|Win 95/98/2k/2k3/XP||Win NT/2K/XP/Vista/7|
8) What do you understand by the term trees, forests and domains?
The logical sections of any Active Directory organization are normally named as a tree, forest, and domain. Diverse articles inside the arrangement of a logical section incorporate the accompanying: computers, customers, devices, etc. that share a comparable dynamic registry database, which is commonly acknowledged as a “domain”.
The mix of somewhere around one domain is called a “tree”. This may likewise contain an abutting namespace associated in a transitive order. The gathering of domains is frequently called a “forest” that shares overall inventory, logical structure, registry setup and registry pattern. It also characterizes the security limits for clients, groups, and devices such as computers.
Through non-authoritative restore, there are many chances that the domain controller can be established back to its underlying state (the time when a backup was performed). When it is set, it permits overwriting its underlying condition with the progressions that were carried out preceding the underlying backup was achieved. Presently in order to upgrade the Active Directory database, it is necessary that the particular domain controller from duplication accomplices to guarantee that the AD is upgraded, precise and accurate to retrieve questions.
At whatever point there is any corruption or information loss in the AD, this technique is utilized. The succeeding step after any particular non-authoritative restore is a definitive authoritative process. The most important highlights of authoritative restore include that it can augment the form quantities of the traits or an article in a whole directory. This sort of restore is employed to reinstate a solitary erased client/object. In case of any disparity in the variant numbers, the subsequent precaution and carefulness must be adhered to while restoring and utilizing any authoritative restore procedures.
10) What do you understand by the term Group Policy Objects (GPO) and list the different types of GPO
The setting that manages the workplace of client records, as well as computer records, are known as Group Policy Object (GPO). This assistance is characterizing the security alternatives, programming establishment, library-based arrangements and upkeep choices, content choices and folder redirection choices. There are generally two types of Group Policy Objects:
- Nonlocal Group Policy objects: These are accessible just in an Active Directory condition and are put away on a domain controller.
- Local Group Policy Objects: These are put away on nearby computes.
11) Is it possible to connect a third party Directory service to an Active Directory?
Yes, it is possible to connect Active Directory to other third-party directory services with the help of various Microsoft versions. LDAP or dirXML can be used to connect Active Directory to other vendors.
12) In order to check TCP/IP configurations, list commands that have been frequently utilized
The two frequently used commands to check TCP/IP configurations include:
- Ping: In order to check the connection between the computer in use as well as other computers, the Ping command is utilized.
- Ipconfig: In order to check the computer’s IP setup, command Ipconfig can be utilized and furthermore it can also be very well utilized to restore the user’s IP address in the case it is given by a DHCP server.
13) Explain the different types of Directory Partitions in Window Server.
The different types of Directory Partitions include the following:
- Application Partition: Application partitions stores various data related to applications in the Active Directory. For instance – ForestDNSZones and DomainDNSZones
- Configuration Partition: Configuration Partition stores all necessary data about the Active Directory. The data incorporates Site, site-interface, subnet and so forth. This parcel likewise replicates all domain controllers that are available in the Forest.
- Domain Partitions: Domain Partitions stores the data of the domain that incorporates client, group, computer, printer and so forth. This partition also replicates all domain controllers that might be available in the domain just like Configuration Partition.
- Schema Partition: Schema Partition stores every one of the details of the various items and their respective properties. It additionally replicates other domain controllers that are available in the Forest.
14) What is the basic function of the domain controller?
The function of the domain controller is to authenticate clients to various networks and deliver a set of objects that are included in the Active Directory.
15) With respect to the Windows DNS server, explain Primary, Secondary and Stub Zones.
The Windows DNS server represents an area name framework, which is utilized as a kind of perspective table to coordinate the space names to various IP addresses. Listed below are the three important categories of zones characteristically used in Windows DNS server:
- Primary Zone: Within the primary zone, the record is spared as a text file with the typical extension being .DNS
- Secondary Zone: This is a reinforcement for the essential server that goes about as load adjusting and furthermore gives adaptation to non-critical failure. This is generally perused just record which is set in another DNS server
- Stub Zone: This comprises of the name server and SOA records that helps in lessening the DNS seek orders
16) What is the difference between Linux and Windows?
The major difference between Windows and Linux:
- Source code for windows is not available.
- You can modify or redistribute the Window operating system.
- In Windows, you are bounded to use one license in One PC only. If you have to install it on other PC you need another License.
- Paid to help desk support.
- Linux is open-source; the complete source code for Linux is available.
Linux is the GPL-licensed operating system, you are free to modify that software and use and even republish or sell it.
- Download once and install it on as many PC you want.
- Online peer support from the community via forums and online search.
17) List some of the roles of flexible single master operations (FSMO) by the Windows Server?
Some of the roles of FSMO include the following:
- Infrastructure Master
- RID Master
- Schema Master
- Domain Naming Master
18) What is difference between Windows and Windows Server?
Difference between Windows and Windows Server
Windows Server OS
- It is mainly released for servers grade systems like Workstation, Rack, Tower, etc
- Multiple users can log in and work simultaneously.
- Supports more CPU(64), cores(320) and RAM(24TB)
- It’s mainly released for user grade systems like desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Mobile, X-box, Halo-lens, etc
- You can create multiple user accounts, but, only one user can log in at a time.
- Support limited CPU(2), core(256) and RAM(2TB)
19) Differentiate between a thread and a computer process
|A thread includes the different executable program that cooperates as a solitary procedure. For example, one thread may send an error notification to the client; another might deal with the error signals while the third thread may execute the first activity.||In computing, a procedure is a case of a computer program that is executed consecutively by a computer framework, which can run various computer programs simultaneously.|
20) What are default user interface used in Windows Server ?
Powershell and Windows shell are default available in Windows Server.
21) What do you understand by the term “tattooing” in context of the Registry?
“Tattooing” the registry implies that clients can adjust and see client preference that is not put away in the maintained portions of the prescribed Registry. Regardless of whether the assembly approach is changed or evacuated, the client’s preference will at present endure in the registry.
22) What is a Visio diagram?
Visio is a diagramming software on Microsoft Windows that allows users to create floor plans, flowcharts, infographics, network diagrams, organizations charts, mind maps, and others. It is incorporated with Microsoft Office software, suite. Visio diagram is made available for sale as a program or software that stands alone. It was initially launched in 1992 by Shapewear Corp. but known as Visio Corporation as of present. In the year 2000, Microsoft acquired it. Visio diagram is sold primarily as a software one can easily download. In the year 2017, an online version of the software was made available.