Index of the content
- 1 1) What do you understand by FTTH?
- 2 2) What is the maximum differential fiber distance in GPON?
- 3 3) What is the maximum logical reach in GPON?
- 4 4) What is OAN in FTTH?
- 5 5) What is Optical Distribution Network?
- 6 6) What are the Bit rates defined in GPON?
- 7 7) Enlist major benefits of Optical Fiber in FTTH?
- 8 8) What is GPON full form?
1) What do you understand by FTTH?
FTTH (Fibre to the Home) is the use of fiber optic cable to provide communication technology to homes and businesses. It provides much higher bandwidth than the existing communication infrastructure such as telephone and coaxial cable.
The FTTH can be deployed in two such as active and passive methods. Right now, the passive method is the most used.
The passive method uses two technologies such as Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON) and Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Networks (GPON) to provide communication.
2) What is the maximum differential fiber distance in GPON?
The maximum differential fiber distance in the GPON is 20 Kilometres.
3) What is the maximum logical reach in GPON?
The maximum logical reach in GPON is defined as 60 Kilometres.
4) What is OAN in FTTH?
The OAN (Optical Access Network), also known as SNI (Services Network Interface) is an access network towards the network side. All the components such as ODF/FDMS that are connected to the SNI comes under Optical Access Network. In layman’s terms, OAN is the set of access links that share the same network-side interfaces. It is supported by the optical access transmission systems.
5) What is Optical Distribution Network?
The ODN (Optical Distribution Network) is a passive optical distribution network that uses single-mode optical fiber. It is used in optical splitters, outside plant, and optical distribution frames. The Optical Distribution Network is duplexed so that both the upstream and downstream signals share the same fiber on a sperate wavelength.
Faster PON supports a higher split ratio of users per PON, but it uses extenders or amplifiers for extra coverage
6) What are the Bit rates defined in GPON?
The Bit rates defined in GPON identifies the two transmission speed. They are,
- 1.2 Gbps up, 2.4 Gbps down
- 2.4 Gbps up, 2.4 Gbps down
Here, the most important bit rate is 1.22 Gpbs upstream and 2.4 Gpbs downstream. GPON transmission speed is aimed at greater than or equal to 1.2 Gpbs.
7) Enlist major benefits of Optical Fiber in FTTH?
Some of the advantages of using Fibre optic cable are,
- It is easy to upgrade.
- It supports a high capacity for carrying information.
- It is easy to install and covers a long distance.
- It is strong, flexible, and reliable while being safe and secure.
- It allows symmetric services.
- It costs lower to install. Also, the operation and maintenance costs are low.
- It is immune to the EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference).
- The cables are small and lightweight.
8) What is GPON full form?
The full-form of GPON is (Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Networks).